I am working on hybridization of Evolutionary Algorithms (EA) in a data mining context. Currently, I am co-supervising Romaric Pighetti with Pr. Precioso in the combination of SVM and EA for mining large scale image databases to deal with Content Based Image Retrieval.
I also investigated the use and adaptation of Evolutionary Computation (EC) for considering user preferences via Eye-Tracking technology in Interactive EC, water current prediction in Hydrology, abnormalities detection via NeuroEvolution in flights boarding, and more recently plant mining and flavors/olfactive receptors relationships (QSAR) in Chemistry…
Before 2007, I was interested by Computer Aided Design, Collaborative Design and Geometric modelling for manufactured products.
Evolutionary Algorithms (EA) are nature inspired and stochastic algorithms that mimic Darwin theory for problem optimization. The particularity of EA is its capacity to deal with multi-objectives (i.e. maximizing profits while minimizing costs), multi-modality (several best solutions) as the algorithm considers a population of solutions, discrete or continous optimization, dynamic optimization and many others fundamental problems… As data mining deals now with Big Data, it is natural to consider EA for optimizing models (neural network, association rules, decision trees or SVM…) produced by a mining or a learning process. They can also be considered for hybridation.
A recent overview of EAs by Thomas Bartz-Beielstein, Jurgen Branke, Jorn Mehnen and Olaf Mersmann in 2014.
Here is a list of domains where EA have been applied.
Most of my scientific production is refered by which give us simple biblio analytics there.
List of Evolutionary Computation Conferences ordered by upcoming deadlines.
Industrial Collaborations with
- Full Performance for web user behaviour modelling and prediction since 2013/09
- Amadeus Sophia for flights boarding abnormalities prediction (2013/02-2013/07)
I participated to following past projects:
- ANR VISIIR (2013-2017)
- CLIO (Chemogenomics Links in Olfactory Perception), CSI University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis in 2014, Collaboration with ICN
- BotanIR (Botanic Image Retrieval), CSI University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis in 2013, Collaboration with ICN
- Regional project COSMOCE (2003-2006)
- Regional project 2IUF (2000-2003)
- French Canadian & French Project IFC2F (1997-1999)
- Regain Project (before 2000)
- Scientific committee member of a multidisciplinary research group on Olfaction and Flavors GDR O3
- PhD thesis examination committee of Anthony Subasic (2013/09/24) at University of Reims : Proposal of a methodology for the integration of trade user knowledge in the HCI of information retrieval applications
- Member of the assistant professor committee in computer science (ATER 27) at University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis since 2010
- Invitation of Prof. Takagi in 2009/03 for one month, an international well-known researcher on Interactive Evolutionary Computation
- Member of the associate professor committee in computer science (MCF 27) at University of Lyon (2004-2007)
- Conferences / Workshops organisation
- Co-organiser of the Parralel Evolutionary Computation for Data Mining on GPGPU workshop in 2011/03
- Participation in the Programm Comittee of 15th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) in 2002 in Lyon
- Participation in the Programm Comittee of First worskhop “From Functions to Shapes” in 2000/04 in Metz- France
- Scientific Expert Jeune Entrepise Innovante (JEI) for Ministry of Higher Education and Research since 2012/05 (for French-Riviera and Languedoc-Rousillon administrative regions)
- Romaric Pighetti (2012/12-2016/11, Ministry of Higher Education and Research allocation) : A Hybrid Method for Fine Grained Content Based Image Retrieval
- Kamel Slimani (2003-2006) : multi-agency framework for co-design and data exchange
- Marco Carta Gullung (2014/03/17-2014/09) : Multimodal Evolutionary Algorithm for Content Based Image Retrieval
- Betty Moreschini (2013/02-2013/07) : Machine Learning with NeuroEvolution for forecasting boarding data in Airline companies in collaboration with Amadeus Sophia
- Romaric Pighetti (2012/03-2012/07) : Hybrid Content Based Image Retrieval combining Multi-objective Interactive Genetic Algorithm and SVM
- Nabil Hammoud (2005) : survey on geomtric design by 2D sketching
- Liu Jian (2003) : Managing consistency between several geometric models
- Kinan Samaan (2001) : Towards a framework for cooperative design for 2IUF project
- Smart Password Generator (3 weeks in June 2013) : Ancelin Arnaud, Aliénor Diaz, Olivier Fauvel-Jaeger, Frédéric Guégan
- Genetic Invasion (3 weeks in June 2011) : Clément Léger, Côme Bernigaud, Loïc Jean David Arjanen, Romaric Pighetti.
- Webcam based Low-cost Eye-Tracker